Resistance and Submission! My Farmers Wife Quilt Along Journey

Have you heard about the Farmer’s Wife Quilt-a-Long?  No???  Well you must be living on a deserted island.  Cause everybody in the quilting world is taking about it.  :S

I have personally resisted following along with Amanda and Angela as they navigate the beautiful tale woven by Laurie Aaron Hird.  The book is based on 55 letters from the 1922 publication The Farmer’s Wife magazine.

There are 111 six inch blocks to be made and the challenge is to make two blocks a week in your own colors and styles.  Amanda and Angela’s challenge started in January.  Since it is almost July, I am a wee bit behind. <blushing>

I totally didn’t want to do this quilt-a-long.  I mean two blocks a week.  Six inch blocks???  Do you know how long it will take to actually have a quilt.

Plus, when I think farmer’s wife, I think dull, dark, colors…you know…DULL!  I don’t do dull.  I only do bright, light, modern!

Then, the pics started to trickle in.  First the Flickr group, the tweets, the talk on Talkin Tuesday Tweetchat, the Yahoo Group (who by the way also doesn’t want me to do this QAL cause they haven’t accepted my request to JOIN!!!).  My interest was tickled.  My sense of “I Can Totally Do Those Blocks” set in.  They are cute.  They aren’t dull.  They will only be dull if I choose for them to be.  I said to myself.  Hmmmmmm…..  No time.  I’m busy.  I have soooo many WIPs, UFOs, THINGS to do.

Along comes my friend Tiffany from Another Pie In the Sky.  We talk.  We talk a LOT!  She says to me, “I think I’m gonna do the Farmer’s Wife Quilt-a-Long  he he.”  It was the he he that got me!  We talked about this!  We have WIPs, UFOs, THINGS to do!

Sigh.

Well, not to be outdone, if Tiff’s gonna do it, I’m gonna do it!  So, I went to Amazon. Found the Book.  Looked at the book.  Bookmarked the book.  Thought about the book!

Last night I clicked “Purchase with 1 Click”. Yep, I’m that person.  The 1 Click Amazon person.

Book will be here tomorrow.

I’m in.  I drank the Kool-aid.  I wanna be a Farmer’s Wife!

11 Responses to Resistance and Submission! My Farmers Wife Quilt Along Journey

1. Nancy D. says:

This made me smile. I felt the same way. I saw the book at JoAnns and had a coupon and thought why not. I’ve gotten as far as printing out the templates to put in a binder and hope to actually start making them one of these days. Happy journey:0)

• Laine says:

Thanks for the encouragement Nancy! I think getting the templates printed is a good start. I’m still staring at the book with a little grimace. LOL

2. Laura says:

Ha! Another one caves…… I’m in Canada and ordered the book from Chapters while the postal strike was going on. They had to me in two days via courier. For once the postal strike worked to my advantage, LOL!

3. Billie K says:

I so love your post! Too funny. If I had not already give in, I would now.

4. Sara says:

Your blog is sweet! Love the pic of yourself tooWink

Still waiting on my book,if it doesn’t come by the 15th I am buying it from Amazon or Joanns!!Thinking

• Laine says:

I’ve seen it in a couple of JoAnns and with a coupon – that rocks! Hopefully you’ll be seeing blocks here soon. Grin

5. Alicia says:

Can’t wait to see the squares as you complete them. I am actually still back at where you were, NOT interested in doing this quilt, at fun as it sounds. But before you get a frown on your face, I am instead looking at doing the Civil War version of this book series – which has some of the same patterns.

• Laine says:

I would like to do the Civil War version too! Let me know if you make the leap…I may jump in with you. Grin

6. Sha says:

I made 2 blocks before I left for NY and have a lot of catching up to do so we can go on this journey together!

Click to Insert Smiley

SmileBig SmileGrinLaughFrownBig FrownCryNeutralWinkKissRazzChicCoolAngryReally AngryConfusedQuestionThinkingPainShockYesNoLOLSillyBeautyLashesCuteShyBlushKissedIn LoveDroolGiggleSnickerHeh!SmirkWiltWeepIDKStruggleSide FrownDazedHypnotizedSweatEek!Roll EyesSarcasmDisdainSmugMoney MouthFoot in MouthShut MouthQuietShameBeat UpMeanEvil GrinGrit TeethShoutPissed OffReally PissedMad RazzDrunken RazzSickYawnSleepyDanceClapJumpHandshakeHigh FiveHug LeftHug RightKiss BlowKissingByeGo AwayCall MeOn the PhoneSecretMeetingWavingStopTime OutTalk to the HandLoserLyingDOH!Fingers CrossedWaitingSuspenseTremblePrayWorshipStarvingEatVictoryCurseAlienAngelClownCowboyCyclopsDevilDoctorFemale FighterMale FighterMohawkMusicNerdPartyPirateSkywalkerSnowmanSoldierVampireZombie KillerGhostSkeletonBunnyCatCat 2ChickChickenChicken 2CowCow 2DogDog 2DuckGoatHippoKoalaLionMonkeyMonkey 2MousePandaPigPig 2SheepSheep 2ReindeerSnailTigerTurtleBeerDrinkLiquorCoffeeCakePizzaWatermelonBowlPlateCanFemaleMaleHeartBroken HeartRoseDead RosePeaceYin YangUS FlagMoonStarSunCloudyRainThunderUmbrellaRainbowMusic NoteAirplaneCarIslandAnnouncebrbMailCellPhoneCameraFilmTVClockLampSearchCoinsComputerConsolePresentSoccerCloverPumpkinBombHammerKnifeHandcuffsPillPoopCigarette